Thursday, August 11, 2011

AM I THAT FAT?!

The phrase "body acceptance" has become such a catch phrase now. It is even used by ad execs to sell products. The problem is, I don't believe people really have come any closer to accepting their bodies for what they are. As a matter of fact, I believe we are so bombarded with unrealistic ideas and images that we are in a world of perpetual denial of even what we look like. How is that possible when I look at myself in the mirror every day? Well it is. Think back to when you looked at a photo of yourself. I know for me, I am shocked sometimes to see how fat I am. How is that possible?! I am fat. I make no bones about it. I buy my clothes in my size, I see myself every day in the mirror several times a day. Hell, my stage name is even Adi Pose! What's with the sticker shock? But I am. I think my mind is bombarded with ideas of what I SHOULD look like versus what I actually do. That my dear, is not body acceptance.

But this is not only limited to size. I hear others complain about their nose, hair, skin, teeth, eyes, lips, ears... you name it and people hate it about themselves. They all seem shocked when they see in it in a picture. Well here's my solution. I'm putting a picture of myself (full body shot) on my mirror. I'm also going to make sure I have full body shot pictures of me and my friends in frames around the house. Why? Because I need to see the real me. I need to remind myself that I am awesome at my present state and replace the the false images I have in my head so I can embrace the real me. Also, it is a kick in the pants that if I don't like something about myself, then do something about it, but also remain reasonable. I am not some air brushed, photo-shopped model and never will be. It is time for me to really embrace the real me.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post. Most often I am guilty of blaming (of all things) my lack of success on being fat. I say I'm not marketable and therefore people ignore my work. Never mind that I stay at home most of the time, and haven't entered an art show since 2008. Clearly it's my weight that keeps people from noticing me. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tire from your honesty, woman!! I feel like people are living more authentic lives w/more loving thoughts~but maybe that's just me? And where I am. And want to be. I say that, but the truth is SOO many people have no attachment or ownership to their bodies or their lives. It's like hearing your voice on the machine....or ahem, now the voicemail & saying, "I sound like that?" I think it's partly indicative of being human. Sheesh, I could definitely write a whole piece on this! Toodles & much heart!!((:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Zan....I love me too and I know I am fabulous.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that I feel myself reverting back to my old self-loathing tendencies, even after the emotional abuse stopped from all parties. I have such a hard time believing people when they tell me I am hot, or sexy, or beautiful because I just don't see it anymore. I don't want to go back to that place! Maybe I'll try this idea and see if that helps.

    Lovely as always darling!

    ReplyDelete